Monday, October 24, 2016

Sparkly hoodie and pants for him

In an attempt to make coordinated Halloween costumes for my husband and I, I have decided that we can both be futuristic aliens this year! I am a little sad not to be a unicorn again, but I couldn't think of  a male costume to go with my unicorn outfit. I am sure we will have a great time both as shiny aliens though! I'm really pretty excited about it.
Using fabric from Joann's for the shiny outside and bright orange stretch velvet from Spandex world, I created a somewhat warm and very fun, reversible hoodie for the husband! The orange velvet was actually left over from when we last went to Amsterdam - we visited during Kings day, and thus needed wild bright orange outfits. That festival is just so much fun! It definitely is a great time to visit that beautiful city. Because this hoodie is reversible, its is not only warmer but now he can wear it orange side out should we find ourselves in Amsterdam at the end of April again!
I made major alterations from the Simplicity 9499 raglan shirt pattern, obviously!  I added a hood, added ribbed cuffs and waist band, lengthened the sleeves and torso as my husband is tall, I lined it, gave it pockets on one side, and put a separating zipper in the center. I think it came out well, but we will have to see how it actually looks on the husband this weekend!
Connecting the outside to the lining with the bottom ribbing
Adding the zipper - and connecting the outside and the lining
Adding the zipper - and connecting the outside and the lining
Look at that lovely zipper!
Adding the cuffs
Finished cuff
I hand stitched through the outside and lining just at where they meet the bottom band
And the husband of course also needed shinny pants to match the shiny jacket! I made a quick and improvised version of V8940 using stretchy super shiny fabric from Joann's. This has a faux front fly as the fabric is stretchy and I know this pattern fits him very well. I did add a real waist band with belt loops just in case the pants are so stretchy they slip down. I omitted the side pockets, but did add back patch pockets.
Front
Back

No comments:

Post a Comment