Monday, October 3, 2016

Self-drafted lace dress tutorial

As the wedding season draws to a close, I found myself in need of something pretty to wear to an outdoor wedding in Northern California in early October. I new the weather would most likely be sunny, but also most likely also be breezy and chilly after sundown. I still wanted to wear a dress, but knew the fabric would have to have some weight so that if could be both relatively warm and pair well with tights, boots, and a jacket.
...enter this amazing buy at Mood! I found this absolutely lovely heavy-weight pale pink intricate lace at Mood and knew it would be perfect. I used a self drafted pattern that was based loosely on a friends dress that I am in love with!

Below are the pics of the pattern pieced I used for this dress (size 2-4). I used black light weight jersey for the lining, princess seams with top stitching for the bodice, and a subtle high-low hem for the skirt with minimal gathers at the waist. The back has a zipper in the center.
Back bodice with zipper placed at the back. The diagonal line is the cutting line for the lining so that the lace is unlined in the center upper back.
Bodice center front (left) and side front (right)
Sleeve with option to cut slit for sleeve placket (I didn't do this for this dress)


All in all I am very happy with how this dress came out! Comfy and pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment