Monday, October 24, 2016

Sparkly bomber jacket and leggings for her

Hi folks! So with Halloween right around the corner I have been very busy getting fun outfits put together for the husband and myself. This really is my favorite holiday because of the totally over the top stuff I get to make! Costumes really are my favorite projects.
So I was initially thinking this shinny outfit would be great for a unicorn - hence the unicorn horn and furry leg warmers- but now I am leaning more toward making this into a futuristic alien costume. Either way, I think it is going to be fun!
The fabric is from Joann's and is super silky, stretchy, and covered in tiny holographic rainbow reflective dots. Unfortunately these dots are only glued on, so I am sure many of them will be lost before Halloween is over. In fact, this fabric made a ridiculous sparkly mess in my house as I was sewing this up!
The jacket was an adaption from the Kwik sew 3491 pattern. I altered the pattern to make a ribbed band for the neckline, and I made this fully lined as I am sure it will be at least a little cold in NYC for Halloween. I used left over white fleece fabric for the lining, and it is supper warm and cozy with this! The pattern was very easy to follow. I do think it came out a little on the large size, and this is with a fleece lining! I like the way the ribbed band at the bottom came out. I will definitely make this again, but will certainly add a lining next time as well.
Neck collar folded in half
Neck collar





 But, I couldn't stop with just a jacket - I had to make matching leggings as well! I used a pair of jersey leggings as an easy pattern, but unfortunately the sparkly fabric had significantly less stretch than the jersey and these leggings came out too tight! I ended up opening the inner seam and adding a 2 inch panel there. I know this is not the best place to widen pants, as far as fit is concerned, but I really didn't want a seam on the outside of the legs and figured a 2 inch strip wouldn't completely destroy their fit.




No comments:

Post a Comment